We are searching for a Financial Controller for our client based in north east London with a client base predominantly situated in north east London and East Anglia. Despite its regionally located head office, the firm adopts a city-based practice model and culture.
The partners have spent recent years developing a robust practice structure based on investment in modern, scalable IT and staff welfare which has allowed expansion of services provided.
The resulting expansion and increased turnover mean recruitment of a full time financial controller is essential to maintain the current growth rate and to assist the partners in maintaining service levels / staff satisfaction.
2. The Role
A full time financial controller is required to assist the partners in the following areas:-
2.1 SRA Accounting Protocol
- Client account posting and reconciliation (full time junior accounts assistant employed to assist with this task)
- Office account posting, reconciliation and invoice processing
- Preparing submissions to the firm's accountants on an annual basis
Note - client account payments are processed by the partners, relieving the financial controller of significant time consuming input / checking duties.
2.2 Office Nominal Managament
- Managing nominal payments and preparing trial balances on a monthly basis
- Reviewing nominal records and reporting anomalies / trends to partners
- Invoice management / scheduling / settling per cash flow requirements
2.3 Internal Reporting & Forecasting
- Monthly / quarterly review of bills / overheads / solicitor working patterns
- Financial forecasting / analysis / cash flow projections / bespoke management reports
Note - the partners presently review financial matters quarterly and request bespoke reports on particular items as they arise. They are open to adopting the financial controller's preferred method of reporting based on experience.
2.4 Design & Implementation of Internal Accounting Processes
- Reviewing and, where necessary, improving current internal accounting processes
- Reporting to the partners of any failings / breaches / immediate action required
2.5 Management of Accounts Staff
- The financial controller will directly manage a full time junior accounts assistant, presently trained in client account posting only
- Possibility of training existing junior accounts assistant in additional financial functions (workload permitting) or assisting in recruitment and training of further accounts staff
3. Candidate Characteristics
- At least five years experience in a financial controller position within a law firm
- Strong IT skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Fastidious approach to implementing SRA Solicitors Accounts Rules
- Desire to progress and improve both individually and as a firm at all times
- ACCA / ACA / CIMA qualified
- Previous staff management experience
- Good understanding of wider accounts function in firm context
4. Other Information
- Full time role (9 to 5 Monday to Friday with one hour for lunch) but additional hours will be required at busy times
- Twenty days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Located in the firm's head office with daily interaction with the partners and fee earning staff
- Salary £50k to £80k per annum depending on experience and talent - Negotiable.