An expanding and established aerospace manufacturing company is seeking to appoint a Head of Quality to lead a small team in supporting the business across the organisation, as well as the Supplier Base. Customer contact will also be a feature of the role and travel within the UK and Overseas may also be required. This is a fantastic career opportunity for an ambitious professional, experienced in manufacturing and with a good knowledge of the aerospace and defence sectors and AS9100 Rev 'D' requirements. Candidates will also be considered with experience of other regulatory environments, including Automotive, Oil and Gas or pharmaceutical.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Establish and control the Cost of Quality and lead initiatives to reduce non-conformance including scrap and re-work in manufacturing, as well as improving On-time Delivery.
- Coach cross-functional teams in-house in Lean initiatives, Continuous Improvement and Root Cause Analysis and other Corrective Action processes, including 5-Why, 8-D and other similar problem-solving techniques, to prevent recurrence of non-conformance.
- Take responsibility for the Company's Management System and personnel to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements in-house and across the supplier base.
- Work closely with other Departments to ensure the full integration of the System and team, into all areas of the business, including manufacturing and design.
- Promote a culture of Total Quality within the Management function to improve efficiencies and processes and ensure full compliance with AS9100 Rev 'D'.
- Manage suppliers and monitor performance, including on-time delivery, non-compliance and cost and support them with improvement programmes where appropriate.
- Develop effective and co-operative relationships with Customers key contacts, engineering and operations.
- Rigorously investigate all incidents of non-compliance and undertake appropriate corrective action, in conjunction with other leadership teams within the business.
You will ideally have the following skills and experience:
- Have previous experience in responsibility for the quality management function, ideally in an Aerospace and/or Defence related manufacturing environment. However, Candidates with experience of other strict regulatory environments, including Automotive, Oil and Gas and Pharma will also be considered.
- Have a good knowledge of the AS9100 Rev 'D' Management system including all the regulatory and accreditation requirements.
- Have a sound track record in establishing the true cost of non-compliance, including scrap, re-work and supplier non-conformances, to reduce both manufacturing and engineering costs.
- Have experience of working in a Lean, Continuous Improvement, Total Quality environment
- Ideally be qualified at least Degree level or equivalent, in an appropriate discipline, ideally with membership of the Institute of Quality or other relevant organisation
- Ambitious, determined and focussed on making a difference, combined with good interpersonal team-building and leadership skills. Well developed analytical skills are also required.
This position represents an outstanding opportunity for further career progression to Director level and you will receive a negotiable salary of circa £60,000 plus 25% bonus and excellent benefits, including fully expensed car and first-class pension scheme (10% Contribution!). Assistance with relocation assistance where appropriate.